Re: [Evolution] 0.8 problems - Imap folders et al.

On 21 Dec 2000 18:36:21 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
[comments below]
----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Steven" <rgs etive southern co nz>
To: <evolution helixcode com>
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 5:40 PM
Subject: [Evolution] 0.8 problems - Imap folders et al.

Here are some of the glitches currently evident in evolution (ex cvs)
There are others, but off the top of my head these are the only one's I
can remember being consitantly reproducable.

I have my Imap folders in a directory structure, ie personal email in a
directory called Personal, work related email in a directory called
Work.

If I subscribe to a folder in one of these subdirectories it does not
show in the tree until I restart evolution. The following error is
reported.
Evolution-shell-WARNING **: e_folder_tree_add: Trying to add a subfolder
to a path that does not exist yet -- /Marathon
Cannot register folder -- /Marathon/jacques
/home/rgs/mail/Marathon/jacques
If I add a folder in an existing path, it shows up immediately.

When folders are subscribed to, the full path name appears in the tree.
I only want to see the name of the individual folder, not its path.
(I have reported this before)

can you show me what the structure looks like now and what you want it to
look like?
If I understand correctly, we HAVE to show the heirarchy - why wouldn't you
want to see that? You want everything on the same level? why?

What happens is when you add a folder, the full path appears in the
tree. I notice now that when you restart evolution, only the folder name
appears. The directory structure should be visible but within each
directory, only the folder name should appear. I was perhaps a bit hasty
in stating that the full path appears, as I now see that it only appears
in the session in which the folder was added. Is there a reason the full
path appears when the folder is added. As you can see, the following is
not very useful, especially if the folder panel is not wide enough to
show the full folder name:

- IMAPv4 server mailserver

   - - Work

           - /home/rgs/mail/Work/brown

           - /home/rgs/mail/Work/jones
etc

When evolution is restarted you get:

- IMAPv4 server mailserver

   - - Work

           - brown

           - jones

I often crash on expunging. I will include a bt in a separate message.
If I try and reproduce it now, I will probably lose what I have already
typed.

If I do a search on 'Subject Contains' the behavior is more akin to
'Subject matches exactly' . It only matches if I type in the subject
line exactly as it appears in the table view, including the trailing
spaces!

Then this is the fault of your IMAP server, we use the command:
A00123 UID SEARCH HEADER "Subject" "blah"

It used to work prior to 0.8

If that's not "contains" then there is no way to do contains the way we were
earching in 0.8, so I don't know what to tell you.
Dan recently rewrote IMAP searching so it didn't use the IMAP server but
instead searched the local cache so maybe this'll solve your problem.

A filter which moves mail from an imap folder copies the messages
successfully, but does not delete them. They are shown as deleted but
they do not go away with an expunge, and they are still there if you
hide deleted messages. (I think I have mentioned this before too).

try rm -f'ing your cache, rm -f ~/evolution/mail/imap? I forget, some path
like that.

Will this ensure the the messages are in fact deleted, or will it only
bring the ui into line with the folder, which still contains the
original set of messages which should have been moved, not copied. If
they are not deleted, the next time I apply the filters, the message
will be duplicated in the folder they are being moved to.

I invariably check email each morning just after 7am. Despite this
consistant behaviour, evolution has not once greated me with a cup of
freshly brewed coffee. I notice also that despite evolution being left
running all night, in the morning the dishes remain undone and the
laundry unfolded. I would hope that this is smartly addressed by the
release of  0.8.1

This is a known bug, you must upgrade libMaid to version 1.0

I tried, but there was a conflct with libWife-i-told-you.so

*  Guy Steven                       *  Meadow Mushrooms Marathon  *
*                                   *  Christchurch, New Zealand  *
*  Barrister & Solicitor            *           #####             *
*  ph 64 3 355 6189                 *   ###  3 JUNE 2001  ###     *
*  gsteven southern co nz           *           #####             *