RE: [Evolution] huge RPMs

On 19 Dec 2000 18:25:25 -0500, Christopher James Lahey wrote:
On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Nerijus Baliunas wrote:

But I DO want to compile Evolution myself - that's why I need -devel
rpms.

If you're compiling evolution from CVS, I would heavily suggest doing the
same with gal because there are frequently bug fixes to evolution which
are actually bug fixes in gal and less frequently, but occasionally, there
are interface changes that mean a new evolution will require a new gal.

Unfortunately, gtkhtml also requires gal, so I personally compile gtkhtml
from scratch as well.  Other than this, I personally try to stick to
packages as much as possible.

I found that I couldn't make evolution work properly unless I compiled
just about the whole thing from CVS.  Since that's such a pain in the
tookus, I wrote up some instructions.  Guess it's time to share them.
You can get my instructions from
http://www.ibiblio.org/gleblanc/instructions_for_evolution/  I think I
have a few changes to integrate, but they should be pretty current.  Be
sure to let me know what I've fouled up.

One thing that helps a lot in switching back and forth between packages
and source is compiling all your source to a separate directory.  I use
/opt/gnome.  This means that when you want to switch back to as many
packages as you can, you can just remove all the subdirectories of
/opt/gnome (or whatever), install your packages, and start your compiles
from scratch.  I did this twice yesterday.  (One thing is that you have to
create the directory /opt/gnome/share/aclocal (or whatever) by
hand.  There are also a number of environment variables you have to set,
but these are documented somewhere.)

I didn't have to create that directory by hand, installing oaf from cvs
created it for me.  I did have to set my ACLOCAL_FLAGS to point there
though.  All that (and more!) is in those instructions.  :)

    Greg