RE: [Evolution] huge RPMs

On 19 Dec 2000 01:27:51 +0200, Nerijus Baliunas wrote:
Why bonobo, gtkhtml (especially -devel) RPMs are so huge?
In ftp.helixcode.com/helix/evolution/distributions/RedHat-6.

Probably because the executables aren't stripped of debugging
information.  This helps by making it possible to provide useful
debugging information when evolution crashes, at the expense of a bit

But if I make rpms myself (with rpm -tb command) they are much
smaller. It is nonsense - user who compiles himself may not
want to strip libraries, the end user who downloads only rpms
gets unstripped ones. And I don't think users who download
binary rpms know how to use gdb.

There is a price to be paid for using a product before it is finished.
If the developers choose to produce rpms in a form that will assist in
debugging the product that is their choice. When there is an official
stable release, then you can ask for a stripped version. In the meantime
if you want smaller binaries, use the strip command. This won't help
with the download though.

Please provide stripped rpms (you can make unstripped default,
but please give some place where I can download stripped ones).
You Americans pay 20 USD for unmetered dialup access,
but I pay ~100 USD a month here for metered access, and if
I used dialup more, I'd pay about 250 USD...

Get the source from cvs. When you wish to update, you will only download
the files that have changed!.