[Evolution] What I want in a mail client ....

Well that is a good question. Here is what I'm really looking for ...

- I need to retrieve mail from at least 2 accounts. Both support a
pop3 interface.

- I'd like to be able to create "pretty" email (HTML type) but that
is not really necessary

- I need GOOD filtering functionality (be able to select and move
mail automatically to different folders and then mark it as read in
some cases

- It would be nice if the system could remember people's email
addresses.

- It would be REALLY nice if the program could import from Netscape 6
for Linux (and possibly Eudora for windows) by just pointing the
importer at the top-level directory containing the the mail to be
imported

That's about it. I'm sure there are some things I've been used to
that I'm taking for granted will be there, but I can't think of them
right now.

Thanks again for the quick responses!

Peter

P.S. Has anyone built this for Redhat 7.0 yet and if so, is there a
way I can get it so I don't have to "build" it myself? I am a bit of
a unix newbie and have a lot of trouble building stuff sometimes. I'm
more of a Smalltalk/Java guy on NT but am slowly making the
transition to the (obviously) superior Linux OS.

--- Tim Reilly <reilly zk3 dec com> wrote:
Depends on what you need in a mail client. I've been using it
(granted, I'm a little crazy, lol) since .2, because I was looking
for a nice-looking mail client for GNOME. Ever since, Evolution has
STEADILY increased in quality and stability. For me, Evolution does
everything I need it to do.

If you might explain the kinds of features you want in a mail
client, we might be able to better help you.

BTW, Evo 1.0 won't be out in 2000...

Tim

Greetings all!

I am so excited to have found a possible replacement for the poor
mail clients available out there for Linux. I look forward to
using
evolution very much.

My question to those of you currently using the product is as
stated
in the subject of this message: Is Evolution "good enough" to use
now
or should one wait for the 1.0 release?

Also, in the FAQs it is stated that Evolution 1.0 would be
released
"later this year". It being now mid-December, does that mean a
release is immanent or does that mean the release is slated for
"later in 2001"?

Thanks for any input that y'all can provide.

Regards,

Peter