RE: [Evolution] Blocking on Send [was Feature request list]

Tom Musgrove wrote:
I would say move the window to the background, and then bring it
to the forefront if an error occurs.

Blech. This does not generalize to dealing with errors from sending
auto-generated email (from rules like: if from line contains client-name and
importance is high, forward to cellphone). When you click send, the window
should immediately disappear, and the message should get queued into your
outbox. At whatever interval you have Evolution set up to send email, it
should scan your outbox, and try to send the things that are ready. At that
point, if there's an error, highlight the message in the outbox in bold or a
different color, and change the status bar to denote the error in sending.

If you don't like this, then you'll have to propose a mechanism that deals
with the case where sending is delayed (having immediate send turned off has
saved me from some embarrassing mistakes), or mail is autogenerated.

And as a point of personal taste, popping up windows is evil. Especially if
the number of windows that could be popped up is unbounded (in which case it
becomes a nice DoS mechanism).

Ray Lee
rblee impulse net  ~  ray madrabbit org