Re: [Evolution] Bounce/remail command

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 02:11:52PM -0400, Chon-Chon Tang wrote:

There's a right way to do this. Trolling users about feature list is the
wrong way.

I won't pretend to know the right way, so therefore I'll be gracious and
ask you.  What IS the right way?  It probably shouldn't be a few guys
in charge of the source tree deciding they don't use it personally.  I'm
not married to the idea of a user survey, and I'd embrace ANY mechanism
for resolving these kinds of feature disputes.  Maybe the answer is to
include all of these features for a roll-out to "expert" users and track
how often they're used.

You start with a bunch of users. Ask them what they want in a mail client.
Ask them what bugs them about current mail clients. Figure outu what they
want and what they need from these conversations.

You take this information to your developers and let them discuss features
that address the users' concerns. Out of this comes features that will be
developed that exist in competitor's products and new features that have
never been implemented before.

The feature list is just wrong because users want features whether they'll
use it or not. Users don't think about consequence. Things like resend
will sound great and it's a feature so they'll say yes, they want it.

That said, if you took my recommended step to building a feature list, you
probably won't see resend anywhere on the list. But developers will always
bring up resend as a potential feature.

G.