Re: [Evolution-hackers] Checking application of extensions and plugins for a software test installation

Do you use a command like “DESTDIR=Test cmake --install
build_directory” for this purpose?

      Hi,
I use what is written on the wiki page. I guess I mentioned that in my
previous mail.

If you do not want to follow that wiki, then, I believe, it doesn't
make sense to request updates of it.

I got further software development ideas.

It's meant to make things easier for the newcomers.

Such a goal is generally nice.

Adding anything like DESTDIR feels too complicated for anyone not touching
build tools every day.

I am looking for better support of advanced software build techniques
so that more tasks can eventually be automated in helpful ways.

If you follow the Wiki page by copy&paste of the commands (+/- adding dependencies
which your distro may or may not have preinstalled), you get the build working
quite quickly.

The build process can be challenging already because of a couple of software dependencies.

By the way, `DESTDIR=Test make install`, though I do not understand why
you'd want to change the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX during the build at all.

I suggest to take another look at available information sources.

Example:
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.19/variable/CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.html

* The support for the environment variable “DESTDIR” is limited.

* It might occasionally be safer to express the intention also
  by a corresponding CMake variable.

Regards,
Markus