Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution doesn't honor LC_TIME (and other LC_ variables)

Hi Patrick :)

On mié, 2008-03-05 at 19:46 +0100, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> On Mi, 2008-03-05 at 10:59 +0100, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
> > Since Evolution uses gettext to get the appropriate format strings for
> > "strftime", no matter what you say on your LC_TIME, you only get the
> > date and time information properly formatted for your language if you
> > set LANG (or LANGUAGE).
>
> I noticed that too and it keeps annoying me at regular intervals, but
> never enough to investigate - thanks for the nice explanation!

Fortunately, the sources are pretty readable (well, I didn't read them,
I grepped, but you get the point: it was easy to follow).

> I don't think I'm the only one out there that needs a fine grained
> > locale,
>
> You are not, I do the same with German data settings while text is in
> English.

In computers, English is pretty standard, and probably a translated
expression won't sound OK, even if it is well translated. I know many
people which LC_MESSAGES=C but the rest of the locale set to their
respective mother languages.

> > I'm not sure about which solution is best, and probably the "%x"
> > solution is easier and will do the right job. If that's the case, I can
> > try to change the sources so strftime uses "%x" and not hardcoded
> > combinations of "%d" and "%m".
>
> I cannot comment on the best technical approach, but I would love to see
> some solution implemented.

I'll try to send some patches to the bugzilla. This is a thing that can
be fixed in little steps, I think. It's not a very obstrusive change,
IMHO... I hope the patches get accepted.

We are waiting for 13 Feb 2009 23:31:30 +0000 ...