Re: [Evolution-hackers] Filters failure / mal-sorting

Hi Dan,

for future reference: Evolution-hackers mailing list is for code
discussion, you may want to post other questions to the evolution
mailing list instead:

I wonder whether a mailing list maintainer (CC: akhil?) could set
descriptions for these lists so they get displayed at
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo , currently it IS confusing
because both lists miss a description.

Am Freitag, den 01.08.2008, 14:52 -0500 schrieb Daniel L. Johnson:
> How does one re-constitute, re-establish, or resuscitate Evo filters?
> How does one re-establish the "unread" folder?
>
> I have just been upgraded by my son to Foresight Linux, with evolution
> upgraded to 2.22.3.1  This change did not correct problems that had been
> occurring in the previous version.
>
> The previous installed version was Evolution 2.4.1, installed when it
> was current, previously upgraded in August, 2005 from 1.0.0 to 2.2.2,
> with some difficulties due to database changes (I have upgraded very
> rarely d/t a need to avoid support and for system stability). As I
> recall, I had to rebuild my files/filters structure.

Basically
http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#How_can_I_transfer_all_my_Evolution_data_between_computers.2Fto_a_new_partition.2Fto_a_new_computer.3F explains what to do *in advance* before installing a new version. Probably too late now. :-/

> Malfunction 1: default folder deletion
>
> A few months ago, my "unread mail" folder (a default folder)
> mysteriously vanished during a mouse click intended for some other
> purpose. Poking around in the menu structure and surveying the help file
> didn't reveal a solution on how to resurrect it; in any case, it's an
> inconvenience, not a show-stopper. But I'm curious how to get it back.

I don't understand what you mean by default folder. What kind of email
account is this about - POP or IMAP? If you refer to a Search folder (or
vFolder as it was called in former releases), displaying all unread mail
in Evolution in just one "virtual" folder no matter where it is
physically located, I'd propose to just recreate it (Edit -> Search
Folders -> Add -> Status | is not | Read).
Search folders are displayed at the bottom of the folder list in the
left side bar.

> Malfunction 2:
> Folder/filter unwanted deletion
>   and
> Incoming Mail misdirection
>
> Several folders mysteriously vanished on May 4th, and perhaps filters
> also.
>
> At the same time, all incoming mail began to fail to sort to the Inbox.
> After a search I found it is sorting into /Search Folders/Unmatched/
> (Currently holding 30057 messages).

Search Folders are only "virtual". You can right-click at the column
headers in the message list pane of the "Unmatched" search folder and
choose "Add Column -> Location". This will show you in which folder
those messages are really located as a hint.
There can be several reasons why mail does not get displayed though it
must be present somewhere. See
http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#I_cannot_see_some_emails.2C_but_they_must_be_there. for potential reasons.

If you think that your filters do not work, see
http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#Why_do_my_mail_filters_not_work.3F .
If you want to know what your filters are exactly doing, you could also
tell Evolution to log its filter activities. See
http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#How_can_I_see_what_my_filters_are_doing.3F for more information.

Hope that helps,
andre
--