Re: [Evolution-hackers] Introduction and Questions

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 23:14 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 07:58 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > Hi.  I've been getting into the code of evolution recently, and am thinking of
> > doing a bit more to see if I can get it working OK for my situation.  I have
> > an IMAP mailbox which is very large, both in terms of folders (over 100) and
> > messages (the largest folder has >300,000 messages; my INBOX has about
> > 22,000).
> >
> > None of the email clients I've tried cope with this very well.  Since I've
> > been using evo at work in a similar setup (cyrus server, though not quite as
> > big), I thought it might be the best to try to tweak.  The problems I've had
> > so far involve setup activities rather than core functionaility.  First,
> > evolution couldn't create the account (solved); second I've had problems
> > getting it to show all of my subfolders.
> >
> > My narrow question is how to debug evolution.  When I launched evolution in
> > gdb evolution (the GUI) came up, and then the debugger told me the process
> > had exited (though the GUI was up and running).  I believe the initial
> > process does some kind of activation of the "real" process and then exits.
>
> Hmm, doesn't it give you a point to do 'bt' to get the traces?
I don't think there's anything to trace, since the action is happening
in another process.
When I begin I am at the gdb command line.  I was able to insert a
breakpoint at what seemed like a good spot (this was a future
breakpoint, since the relevant library hadn't loaded).  Then when I did
'run' the GUI came up, and the program I was debugging exited.  There
was no error, and I didn't hit the breakpoint, so I don't think bt would
be meaningful.

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding and it is only one thread that has
exited.  But I see in main.c a lot of IDL code, and I know GNOME apps
are supposed to be able to discover if they've already launched.  I
guessed (mostly by analogy with MS COM) that the initial program simply
requests a service, and that is either conveyed to an existing instance
of the app or a new  instance is created.

--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross biostat ucsf edu