Re: [Evolution-hackers] compression for folders?

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 12:53 +0300, Enver ALTIN wrote:
On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 11:17 -0500, Todd T. Fries wrote:
> I am now using evolution 1.2 on OpenBSD for whatever that is worth, and
> have about 3gb of bz2 compressed files to move into evolution folders.

Isn't 1.2 a bit outdated to talk about?

> Are there any mechanisms proposed or existing to compress email folders?

Not yet, and the very common answer for similar/related questions in the
past was: "No, and it's not planned anytime soon". Transparent
compression will probably break vfolder and searching facilities causing
a lot more usability and long term maintenance problems. I doubt Gerardo
will like the idea :)
Well transparent compression would be ... transparent, so everything would still work if it was done properly.

My take on it is that it just isn't worth it on its own - hard drives are SO cheap these days.

If you've got 3GB of email lying around it sounds like its actually archival you're after ... i'd certainly support some sort of development of compressed archive mode folder stuff.

i.e. not just a general folder compression option, but a special backend for archival and/or hsm storage.

Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>

Ximian Evolution and Free Software Developer

Novell, Inc.