Re: [Evolution-hackers] Calendar Publishing Bounty Questions

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 08:05 -0700, Gary Ekker wrote:
> I have most of the calendar publishing bounty completed. It extends the
> work that I did for Free/Busy publishing to include calendars. I have
> also added GnomeVFS for URIs not supported by libsoup, so that more
> publishing options are available.
>
> I have several questions about how to finish:
>
> The bounty describes exporting the calendar in an HTML format using
> phpicalendar. phpicalendar does not have a C interface that you can use
> to convert an ics file to html. You just put phpicalendar in a web
> directory that supports php, publish your calendar to it, and then when
> you browse to it, you get the phpicalendar interface displaying your
> published calendar. http://primates.ximian.com/~gekker/phpicalendar
>
> The cool thing about this is that you can setup a publishing URI to
> point to http://primates.ximian.com/~gekker/phpicalendar/calendars/
> publish.php and if you have configured phpicalendar for publishing, it
> will allow you to publish via webdav to your web-enabled directory
> without having your Ops enable webdav.
>
> So the question is, do we require the ability to publish an HTML file to
> any given URI, or should we just support the phpicalendar interface for
> this functionality? If we want to support publishing an HTML file
> natively, does anyone know a simple way to convert ical to HTML?

I think we should publish the .ics file as it is. That would cover more
setups than relying on phpicalendar.

> Also, when publishing calendar events, do we want to automatically
> remove Private and Confidential events, or just Confidential ones? any
> thoughts on this?

hmm, I guess you would password-protect your calendars. If we remove
events when publishing calendars, some users that want to get to their
private calendar via webcal might be upset. OR maybe a configuration
option?

> The rest of my questions are UI questions:
>
> For the configuration of publishing, my thoughts are to take the
> existing config for Free/Busy Publishing, make it Calendar Publishing,
> and then have set each URI to either Free/Busy or Calendar. I display
> the ESource list there to select which calendars to publish to the URI,
> should I display another list adjacent to it for the user to select
> which if any Tasks they want to publish with their calendar? (by the
> way, if you publish the tasks with the calendar, phpicalendar displays
> them nicely.)

what about just using the same tree for both calendar/tasks? That is,
the config page could be called 'Calendar and Tasks publishing', and be
generic to work for both.

> When submitting the patch, should I HIGify the UI?

I guess so :-)

cheers