Re: [Evolution-hackers] creating new calendars, contact groups, and task groups

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 06:26 -0500, Larry Ewing wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 16:51 -0500, Anna M Dirks wrote:
> > Greetings all.
> >
> > The purpose of this mail is to solicit feedback from you about a
> > possible redesign of the tools used to add new groups of contacts, new
> > groups of tasks, and new calendar in Evolution 2.0.
> >
> > Currently, all of these things are configured using wizards. This
> > approach is inappropriate, because in most cases there is very little
> > information required to add a new group -- so that adding one using a
> > wizard takes significantly more time (and mouse clicks) than is
> > necessary.
> >
> > I propose that replace these wizards with a set of simple dialogs.
>
> As I sat down to implement this I noticed this change may end up causing
> us problems in the future.  With the druid based approach if a new
> evolution-data-server backend is added then we'd simply need to add the
> new source type to the type selector on the first druid page and replace
> the subsequent druid pages with controls the backend provided.  With the
> new plan of simple dialogs I don't see how we could add new types in the
> future if the options they need don't match the options of the current
> sources exactly.
>
> Do we have a plan to deal with this?  Should I hold off on the
> implementation until we've had time to consider it?

I would say go ahead with the implementation given since as discussed at
the meeting yesterday, even if we end up changing the exact mechanism
for adding calendars, most of the code will be re-usable.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com>
Novell, Inc.