Re: [Evolution-hackers] component information area.

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 11:28 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 14:03 -0500, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
> > I agree with the sentiment completely, something like that is needed.
> > My only concern is that you're taking even more valuable vertical real
> > estate from the folder list.  Many of us stuck on 1024x768 laptops are
> > already hurting for space there.  I'm not sure there's anywhere else it
> > could logically go, unfortunately.  At the very least, could it be made
> > shorter, maybe the same size as search bar next to it?
>
> If only that, and the buttons down the bottom didn't waste so much space
> on empty space ... but unfortunately, our hands are tied somewhat by the
> HIG.  Which seems to have been designed based on mid-80's mac-type
> assumptions that everyone has exactly the same screen resolution and
> monitor size.  And that size is a 90's assumption of a 19" LCD running
> at 1600x1200.

Perhaps now is the time to implement some method for turning on icon
only mode in the component buttons?  We could either obey the gnome tool
bar setting (seems a little odd) or have a view entry there.  The code
for the buttons is already there, you just have to switch the mode in
e-sidebar.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com>