Re: Patch: Runtime disable remote loaded files

Hello

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:54:56PM +0300, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:
> В Вск, 18/01/2009 в 17:38 +0100, Michal 'vorner' Vaner пишет:
> > I happened to need evince not to load files remotely (eg. when you start
> > second evince, it asks the first one by dbus to open the files and
> > quits), because it made mozplugger swallowing not work. Disabling dbus
> > at compile time worked, but I thought it would be better to do it
> > run-time with a command line switch.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> About your main patch, I think everything is not so simple because of
> metadata handling. I think instances will conflict while trying to
> access the metadata storage. Why do you need another process? Probably
> there is another way to solve this issue.

Well, in mozplugger, an application is started with a filename and its
main window is swallowed by it (embedded into the tab/webpage). But when
the remote loading is activated, this happens:

On the first opened file, everything works, window is swallowed. On the
second, the process starts, asks the first one to show the file and
exits. Mozplugger checks for windows of this process, not others (to
swallow the right window), but this process creates none. The original
already has one swallowed window, so this one is left alone.

Now, what happens when I close the first tab is mozplugger kills the
application. This however kills all its windows, even the ones for other
documents (the unswallowed ones).

I think this behaviour is suboptimal.

The original solution was to compile evince without dbus support, so it
couldn't communicate. Which comes to the question, how is instance
without dbus different from the one with --no-remote switch? And what
are these metadata anyway, or what can happen to me with this switch?
(Sorry, I do not know gnome internals, nor use gnome, I want to use
evince stand-alone)

The other way could be teach mozplugger to somehow swallow other windows
(and pass some class name to the new evince, or something), but I
thought this might be easier and it may be useful for someone if the
application terminated when the requested window was closed.

Thank you

--
When a fly lands on the ceiling, does it do a half roll or a half loop?

Michal 'vorner' Vaner