Re: Bug report: EVINCE cannot display some Japanese PDF docs

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Yann MERRIEN <yann_merrien yahoo fr> wrote:
> EVINCE, KPDF, ePDFviewer, and KGhostView cannot display any Japanese
> characters in some particular PDF documents (like the one I attached in this
> email), when XPDF (with the xpdf-japanese plugin) can do it.

The reason is that Debian and Ubuntu don't package poppler-data
(http://poppler.freedesktop.org/poppler-data-0.2.0.tar.gz) that
contains the necessary CMap etc files. This information is also contained
in xpdf-japanese, but installed in a place where evince (or rather poppler)
doesn't look for it.
I got evince to display your example pdf by unpacking the above tarball
into /usr/share and renaming the toplevel directory to "poppler".

Cheers, Roderich