Printing to custom printer queue

Hi. Due to some quirks in the printer setup where I work, I created a custom CUPS printer queue that logs into another machine with ssh and spools the print job from there. Unfortunately I recently noticed that I can't print to this queue from evince anymore - when I select that queue, the "Print" button is greyed out.

Printing from most other applications works fine. I'm wondering if this is because evince uses the new gtk printing code and most other apps use the old gnomeprint? Printing from the command line with lp also works.

What I've done is to create a file /etc/cups/printers.conf that contains

<Printer lp_over_ssh>
Info HP Laserjet 4100
Location Hennings
DeviceURI remote:/
State Idle
StateTime 1145777891
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

where the file /usr/lib/cups/backend/remote is a small shell script that says

#!/bin/sh
cat $6 |sudo -u localuser ssh remoteuser remotehost lpr

Do you have any idea why evince (or gtkprint) doesn't think this is a valid printer queue? This is with evince 0.6.1, by the way.

Thanks in advance,

Johan