Re: Conclusions from the ephy meeting?

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Xan Lopez <xan gnome org> wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing the 'big question' is whether or not webkit is accepted
>> as a dependency in GNOME? In that case that topic wasn't in the agenda
>> for the simple reason that it's not in our hands to decide that. As
>> Vincent has said, though, what we discussed can be used by the release
>> team as input to decide on this.
>>

> That seems backwards to me. We can't decree if there will be a working
> epiphany/webkit release in time for 2.26...
> Will there ?

AFAIK whether or not to accept WebKit as a dependency is not only
related to whether or not there will be a "working" epiphany release
at the same time. There's other modules planning to move from gecko to
webkit, and I think that for all of them WebKit is already good enough
minus the a11y regression (that's why this is a blocker). In any case,
the current plan for Epiphany is to release some kind of alpha/beta
version of the webkit port at the same time than 2.26, and declare it
stable or good enough by 2.28, but as with any other volunteer-based
project this can wildly fluctuate depending on what people actually
end up doing (that being said, I'm happy with the major progress in
the last two or three months).

Cheers, Xan