Re: XULRunner and Epiphany

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 19:40 +0100, Christian Persch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le vendredi 03 février 2006 à 17:56 +0100, Jan de Groot a écrit :
> > As package maintainer for Archlinux, I would like to switch from Firefox
> > to XULRunner as backend. This has several reasons:
> [...]
> > Since XULRunner 1.8.0.1 was released yesterday, I wanted to make a
> > package and see what epiphany does with it. The patches I need to apply
> > seem to be a little bit outdated in the wiki
> As far as I know, those patches haven't been applied to the 1.8 branch
> yet, so they should still be needed. Do they not apply cleanly anymore
> perhaps?

The patches I use to package XULRunner now:
- firefox-1.1-uriloader.patch (taken from Fedora CVS)
- firefox-1.5-with-system-nss.patch (also from Fedora CVS)
- Patch from mozilla bugzilla 252436
- Patch from mozilla bugzilla 310924
- Patch from mozilla bugzilla 312241
- pango-cairo.patch (taken from SuSE, but fedora has it too)
- system-prefs.patch (taken from SuSE)
- dumpstack.patch (SuSE, though fedora has it too for FF)
- nsIPermission.patch (SuSE)
- nsISidebar.patch (SuSE)

The typeaheadfind patch is not required for XULRunner, typeaheadfind
works fine without taf.patch. This isn't clear on the website.

> > , so I would have to find
> > out which bug is fixed and which is not (the same as with firefox
> > 1.5.0.1). Since the codebase is shared, I guess I can get away with the
> > same patches I applied to firefox 1.5.0.1.
> Yes.
>
> > My biggest concern, before even starting this operation: what is the
> > downside of switching to XULRunner for epiphany 1.8.x, and what would be
> > the downside of switching for epiphany 1.9.x/1.10.x?
>
> The biggest problem with xulrunner is that in its default configuration,
> it is missing some components that a web browser needs. Specifically,
> its default --enable-extensions (xulrunner configure) does NOT include
> "permissions" and "cookie", which you should add:
> --enable-extensions=default,permissions,cookie
>
> With that fixed, epiphany 1.9.6 should compile and work with xulrunner
> 1.8.0.1; please let us know if it indeed works :)

Epiphany 1.8.3 works fine with XULRunner too, but the about: URI doesn't
work anymore. Epiphany 1.9.6 works perfectly with XULRunner. I don't get
these annoying "do you want to save the password" dialogs from Firefox
either anymore, not in 1.8, not in 1.9. Only problem with this: the
option to save passwords is entirely gone in epiphany based on
XULRunner. Besides this problem, I haven't found any problem yet.