Re: Very confused by wiki.gnome.org/Events

On 20/02/2015, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 07:32:36PM -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
So for advertising hackfests we have:

http://wiki.gnome.org/Events
and
http://wiki.gnome.org/Events/Hackfests

Doesn't exist. I see someone created a hackfest under that, that should
be moved.

I agree with that. There is also
https://wiki.gnome.org/Events/HACKFEST for the same reason.

and
http://wiki.gnome.org/Hackfests

We really need to rmove these duplicates.  Every time there is a
bifurcation, we have confusion.
I would like to consolidate to http://wiki.gnome.org/Events

They're not the same. A conference with a GNOME preference is not the
same as a hackfest. I'd like to know when hackfests occur, so I watch
for changes to the Hackfests page. That's a lot different from the
various conferences organized by others.

IMO there are 3 types:
- stuff we host on our own:
 - doing (hackfest)
 - more passive (conference)
- stuff we (might) attend

Having them all mixed together is IMO not right.

I agree that we do have quite different events. Not only do they
differ in the organisational structure, they also differ in style and
expectation. For example, hackfests are predominantly for working.
Conferencing are for presenting work. Booths are for raising
awareness.

Moving /Hackfests to anywhere else would also just cause a lot of
headache as it's closely integrated with the travel sponsorship
procedures.

The only odd thing that I see is that non-hackfest events such as
GNOME Fest Peru are placed under /Hackfests… actually, that's the only
one which is, really. It should probably be treated more like FOSDEM.

By the way Sri, please don't capitalise HACKFEST for wiki URLs, it's
not an acronym, so that's just wrong ;)