Re: [Ekiga-list] GNOME3/2 controversy

On Fri, 17 May 2013, fred k wrote:

Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 22:04:47
From: fred k <fred k member fsf org>
Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] GNOME3/2 controversy

Hi guys/gals, another voice from the sideline:

First off, I appreciate active developers for thinking about GNOME, UI design, GTK compatibilities, etc, etc. I/we, users, benefited from YOU a bunch. *Thank you!*

For GNOME3, I have unfavorable first impression. Tweaking debian 7.0 for a few hours, I couldn't find a couple of setting dialogs that existed before, even hit some abnormal exits and freezes. I'm not sure GNOME's the culprit or something else is, but I'll stay debian 5 at least for now until deb 7 stabilizes, or GNOME 2.4 until 3.x stabilizes.

Since I've been comfortable with ekiga 2.4 UI design, ekiga 4.0.1 on GNOME3 somewhat confuses me. I'll expect some learning curve, though.

fred_k

Hello.

I am running Debian 6.0.x amd64 version, which is running GNOME 2.3.something (I think).

I have just checked the GNOME Terninal Help -> About, in which I am running pine (now named alpine), and that shows version number 2.30.2, which I assume to be the vesion number of the GNOME that is running on this system.

Debian 6 would probably work with you.

The primary problem that I have with the operating system, is that it will not use swap memory - I have 8GB RAM, and a 40GB swap partition, but it will run out of RAM and crash, without using the swap partition.

However, that appears to be particular to me, from the feedback that I have received from the Debian Users list.

It could just be that the amd64 version of Debian 6, has not yet achieved stability.

I do not know.

A problem that I see with running Debian 5 (I think that I am still running it on our firewall/gateway machine, but that is because the firewall software, which appears to still work, is now obsolete), is that I understand that no updates, security or otherwise, are being provided for Debian 5, which would make Debian 5 a vulnerability (I think). I could be wrong in that.

When I upgrade the OS, it will probably be to PC-BSD (which will probably be a steep learning curve - I haven't used BSD, since BSD 4.2, on a VAX, as a user, and, not as a systems administrator, in the early 1980's, I think). I think that PC-BSD 9 runs GNOME 2.x .

I assume that Ekiga will run on PC-BSD.

Apparently, PC-BSD will run Linux software within a jail (like a sandbox, I think).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."