Re: [Ekiga-list] Invalid Contact header field, or bug in ekiga.net?

On 10/27/2010 11:19 AM, Jānis Rukšāns wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Jānis Rukšāns <thedogfarted gmail com> wrote:
>
>> Wherever the 192.168.10.6 came from, it *IS* the reason why ekiga.net
>> barfs, and that is a *BUG*. Myself and others have complained about
>> that since long ago, to no avail. *NOWHERE* in the SIP standards it
>> says that a registrar should barf on private IPs in Via. Even more, it
>> breaks clients that use SIP outbound + ICE instead of STUN to traverse
>> NAT (as SIP outbound *REQUIRES* to have non-NATed address in Via).

That IP turns out to be "public" IP of the Linksys wireless router
connected to the local LAN, which is managed by a linux server.  The
laptops go through the wireless router.   When I get a chance, I'll run
a trace on the packets as they enter the linux server from the router -
to see whether linux (centos-5.4) or the linksys is rewriting the
REGISTER packets.  I suspect the latter.

Thank you for looking at this.  It explains why many services (including
the commercial ones I'm using) work fine.  Ekiga.net has some bugs that
need to be worked around to use their free service.

I think now my goal is to run a sipproxy our home linux server.  That
should fix up issues with ekiga, and allow multiple simultaneous clients
(not that our ISP would be happy with that ... but no worse than ISO
downloads).  Maybe there are other free sip registrars that don't have
(these particular) bugs.