[Ekiga-list] sound quality for echo test

I'd like to switch from skype to ekiga, however there are some
performance issues.  With "skype out," for outbound calls, the sound
quality is fine, however when I run the echo test with ekiga the voice is
quite broken up.  (Also, ekiga seems to pin the cpu and I never hear back
from the echo test, although I expect those are separate issues from
sound quality.)

Is the better sound quality from skype due to compression, or a
proprietary protocol?  Not that skype is perfect, but the sound quality
is acceptable.

-Thufir