Re: [Ekiga-list] [Ekiga-devel-list] Ekiga 3.2 is in Ubuntu 9.04

David Fox wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Stuart Lesnett
> <stuart_lesnett lesnett com> wrote:
>> Good to hear more from you, I assume you've really been busy.  My question
>> is what about a large number of us running Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit mode?  I'm
>
> That particular repository doesn't have 8.04 packages, just 8.10 and 9.04.
>
> Something that might work (YMMV, of course) would be to grab the
> deb-src line for either intrepid or jaunty (it shouldn't matter
> which), add it to your /etc/apt/sources.list, and then do an aptitude
> update to synchronize the repository to your local package collection.
> Then you could try to do "apt-get -b source ekiga" which, if it
> fetches the ppa repository will attempt to build a local .deb package
> for your system. You'll probably want to do an "apt-get build-dep
> ekiga" so that all the build dependencies are downloaded so you can
> build those as well. Usually, you'll have to apt-get -b source the
> dependencies (opal and ptlib for sure, perhaps others) and of course
> run any build-dep sessions against those dependencies, if they have
> not already been installed on your system.
>
> It's a bit repetitive, but it should work - disclaimer is that I

This whole process can be made much easier using /etc/apt/preferences in
which one specified which exact packages to pull from which repos (the
additional repos are mentioned in /etc/apt/sources.list or added to the
rest of the repos via the GUI). The following pages show how it is gone:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

This way one can mix various distributions or releases in a systematic
manner.

Regards.

ever having been read.