Re: [Ekiga-list] Privacy policy of Ekiga

Damien Sandras wrote:
Le lundi 17 mars 2008 à 20:32 +0100, schoappied a écrit :
Damien,

As a 'user' of a internetservice, like internet chat or phone, I want to know which information will be gathered and stored by the service. If they use information, what for and if there giving or selling information to third party's. Also I like to know how they protect there users against violations of privacy.

Do you store for example the chat or call sessions? Do you store who call who and when? And if so, how can we as users delete 'history' or change the setting so that that sort of information will not be stored.

It is not a specific distrust of Ekiga, but in my opinion every internet service should be protecting there users for misuse or privacy violations and they should be open about there privacy rules. I think it would be good if Ekiga can ensure there users that there privacy will not be violated by the service and that Ekiga shall do there best to protect there users against it. A sort of statement.

As a user I can read that statement/ policy and can decide whether or not I will use that service.

Here are some examples:

http://www.skype.com/legal/privacy/general/
http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
http://www.voipbuster.com/en/privacy.html
http://www.digium.com/en/company/view-policy.php?id=Privacy-Policy

I think your service and software will be more 'open' if you're open, honest and clear about this, for every (potential) user.

We only store user names and e-mail addresses and are not a commercial
company, so perhaps it does not really make sense (as reported by Cam
Ellison).

However, it can not harm if we add such a notice somewhere. It is on the
TODO :