Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] Reorganizing things

Le mercredi 02 septembre 2009 à 10:15 +0200, yannick a écrit :
> >>From a Fedora point of view the two "bugs" I see on a regular basis
> > are "Audio Problems" (will be fixed mostly by a Pulse Audio plugin set
> > as the default) and Network issues which are mostly Firewall and NAT
> > based. I think support for upnp would possibly fix most of those
> > issues for the average user. The would be the most useful features
> > from my point of view and the later would probably also help the issue
> > with ekiga.net "not working" mentioned elsewhere.
> >

> I see pulse audio as a good thing for the Linux audio stack; it provide
> a unified test case of the major features and my hope is to see it
> improve the situation at the end. (and IMHO it really needs improvements...)

The problem is that it is not designed for VoIP applications: it adds
latency.

> The network issue is also a complex matter. I agree upnp will improve
> the situation too. Still it will not be enough for some people. The

In Belgium, I've never seen a router supporting upnp...

> software we compete with here (skype) is full of workarounds for
> hardware/network config *hostile* to VoIP. As people with software which
> do not work are always louder than people where it just work, the
> situation will still harm ekiga reputation. Beside, the security topic
> here is quite important and very complex, and this is something skype
> deals with obscurity. Quite frankly, I doubt if the skype protocol was
> open, it will be considered as secure... I've started to work on the
> topic, i.e. how to deal with hardware/setup hostile to VoIP. I've hope
> to publish a white paper in the coming months (I was full of hope to
> publish this for the end of august, but I was then busy with user
> support, bug triaging, packages, etc.). I do not see a good fix for that
> in the short term. Any help is welcome.

I plan to detect that at some point, and redirect people through a
proxy. However, I'm not sure about the load and bandwidth in that case.
--
 _     Damien Sandras
v_/_   Be IP           : http://www.beip.be/