[Easytag-mailing] tagging classical music flac files

Hello,

First of all many thanks for all developers for this excellent piece of software. I have tried out other, "commercial" software and find that easytag does an excellent job.

I am about to rip all my classical, jazz and rock CDs onto a server as flac files using EAC into a simple directory structure. This target structure reflects mostly the CDs in three levels: genre, composer (or artist), and CD, with optional sub directories for multiple CDs, e.g. Classical / Beethoven / Piano-Sonatas-Brendel / CD* / *.flac, or Jazz / Keith Jarrett / Koeln Concert/ *.flac

To start with, I have ripped and tagged a 50+ CDs in order to get an idea of the requirements. What I would like to get at, is that a music player can then create a view depending on meaningful tags. In particular, I would like to use two additional tags: WORK for the work, the oeuvre, and TYPE for the work type such as string quartets. So I would like to see a hierarchy:

GENRE	COMP.	TYPE	WORK	TITLE
Classical
	Beethoven
		String Quartets
			Quartet No.132
				Allegro ...
				:
			:

		Piano Sonatas
			Sonata No.32
				Maestoso - ...
				:
			:

This hierarchy works for some composers, For others, it is unnecessarily steep, e.g. Ravel wrote only one string quartet. Sometimes the work is contained on one track as it is a one-movement work, such as Milhaud's Le boeuf sur le toit. For me, the TITLE tag would always be applied to the smallest entity, in most cases a movement (possibly a track). There are certainly even more complex cases I did not even encounter but could think of such as several performers of the same work. In either case, however, the music player would be required to generate views the deepness of which depends on the existence of some tags.

That being said, both a clever music player (using a sophisticated model of music that goes beyond the usual genre/album/track paradigm) and complex tagging are required; From what I have tried so far, easytag does not allow to create these additional tags I was talking about, or I haven't found the feature yet. So the question is: how can I add more tags, and if not, is there a plan to allow more tags being added?

Best regards,
peter