Re: More features

On 01/31/2014 10:30 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Octavio Alvarez!

To me, an added "recently-used" list where the last 100 shapes (not lists)
are shown sorted by last time starting by the most recent would be great.

Always shifting list of often used elements is never useful.
You just won't use it, if it will always change, and if it take you a look and
a thought to pick proper element from the sheet.

But still I'd rather look for the shapes in only one list, than having
to switch lists. Cisco has so many shapes that they are split in five lists.

This is, unfortunately, the late tendency of UI design - to force people to
waste their time looking at is.

I did not suggest to eliminate any current UI feature, only add to it.

Professional users never look, where they click.
They KNOW where they click. They rarely admit the presence of UI around the
workplace. They concentrated on their work, and UI is just a supplement. If it
needs more attention, than their work, the UI is deficient and needs an
overhaul.

Yes, but neither you or me will *do* the UI overhaul and it can be quite
some work, so my suggestion tries to reduce the actually work needed.

And I'm not even sure I succeeded because to keep track of shape usage
could imply modifying some internal program structure.

Maybe a 'Current diagram shapes' list could be a good start.

Also, not sure if dia --integrated is the default in the Windows
installer (I use Linux), but making it the default would be a great UX
improvement, just by itself.

Even if not, you can make it so quite easy yourself.

We are talking about beginners and sane defaults. I've seen how people
react when they see the non-integrated UI for the first time. It's
different. It's an additional burden to the Dia learning process for
newbies.

I've been using Dia for years and I know my way around. *Even* with that
I just hate the normal interface. It's unpredictable, it's difficult and
it focuses me away from my work

If you tell a beginner that the first thing to do is to change the
shortcut that will just scare them away and it's an indication of a
required improvement. In this case is really simple.

Best regards.