Re: Dia python plugins

answering my own question -
I think this is achieved by the command
sudo port install dia -with-python

Unfortunately I upgraded macports to version 1.710 using selfupdate and now dia will not install complaining about
--->  Building dia
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_dia/work/dia-0.97" && make all " returned error 2
Command output: wmf.cpp:1298: error: 'struct _WmfRenderer' has no member named 'hPrintDC'

If anybody know how this is fixed an answer would be welcome.