Colour palettes with meaning (Was: Motivation for having a 'text color' that is invisible)

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Lars Clausen wrote:

For clarity, then: "transparent" means a color setting, while "undisplayed" means that the (part of the) object is not considered to exist for any calculations at all, including bounding box, diagram extends, parenting etc.

While reading this thread, I had a partially related thought.

If there is a 'transparent' colour, or perhaps rather an 'alpha' channel, then I think it'd be good to be able to specify this using a symbolic reference rather than a number. I'm probably being unclear right now, so let me expand on the subject.

Generally speaking for colours, I would like to be able to specify a colour, e.g. "red-1" and the let several objects be "red-1". Once I change the definition of "red-1", I'd like the appearance of all object with this colour to also change. This is in contrast to having to go to every object and manually change the colour.

How is the above related to transparancy? Well, if this can be done in degrees, we are really talking about an alpha channel (at least I think this is what it's called). With 50% transparancy, we will still have some colours in the object, and thus the R, G, and B channels are combined with an alpha channel that is 50%. Now, instead of just adding a fourth value for the alpha channel, I think it'd be much better to be able to name certain colours (perhaps also being able to add a comment/description), and then refer to these. This named colour would then in addition to the RGB values also have an alpha channel, i.e. a level of transparancy.

I hope this makes sense.
/Christian