Re: Non-uniform scaling/resizing.

Hi Brian, others,

I thought the website was quite explaining if you look at the difference.

The point is, that in Visio, a shape can have a sub-shape with other resizing or scaling characteristics (i.e. the subshape rescales less quickly or not at all, when the parent is resized). This implies, that a sub-shape is anchored somewhere in the parent.

In dia, with the custom shapes in SVG, all points of the various GraphicElements, that the shape is consisting off, are transformed uniformly. This means that "sub" shapes will also scale when the parent shape is resized ( i.e. there are _no_ sub shapes).

I'm currently investigating how this may be added to dia. Interface-wise I want something (roughly) like:

<svg:svg>
    <svg:ellipse../>
    <svg:rectangle .../>
    <svg:g diasubshape:scale_factor="0.0,0.0" diasubshape:anchor="top-left" ...>
       <!-- define subshape here -->
    </svg:g>
</svg:svg>

That is why I call it uniform versus non-uniform scaling/resizing (it may be better to call it uniform versus non-uniform transformations), where a different transformation is applied to the subshapes in comparison to their parents.

hope this additional info helps...

--
dpy