problem building on Mac OS X

Dear list,

I'm (still) having a problem building 0.96.1 under Mac OS X.
Although I am able to run ./configure with no errors, the ./make fails unless I manually modify ./po/Makefile or ./po/Makefile.in.in in order to over-ride the definitions for GMSGFMT, MSGFMT, and XGETTEXT.

        GMSGFMT = /sw/bin/msgfmt
        MSGFMT = /sw/bin/msgfmt
        XGETTEXT = /sw/bin/xgettext

I'm very much a novice on the details of how "configure" works. Can someone school me on how to handle this in a way that isn't such a *hack*.

btw, I'm using a Fink installation which requires ./configure to be run with the option --prefix=/sw

TIA