Is there a way to draw an "invisible" line?

I know that I can set a line's foreground colour to the same as the background in order to make it "invisible". What I'd like to know if there is some way to actually set the colour of the line to "invisible"?

I've used this in other softwares, e.g. Tgif, and it's quite useful. You can change the background colour without worrying about side effects for one. Another thing is that it feels more logical to me to set the color as invisible when that is what I mean.

Should I file a bugzilla feature request for this?

cheers
/Christian