Re: select/copy/paste/delete when editing text and UML widgets

Thanks for the tips. I also discovered that text can be deleted using ctrl-delete (or shift-delete) while typing.

Todd

Lars Clausen wrote:
Todd Chambery sagde:
Hi All,

I've been using Dia a lot recently, and am learning to really like it.
I haven't found a non-commercial program similar to Visio with all the
features Dia offers.  That said, I have noticed a few "inconveniences":

1. When editing text, select/copy/paste don't work, and the delete key
deletes the object.  Given the amount of text in any drawing, it's
tedious to have to retype everything.  Not having a delete key just
makes that task all the more difficult.

You can copy the entire text of an object with "Copy Text", and similarly
insert text with "Insert Text", but you cannot currently do subselections
-- the right way to get that to work would be using a GtkEntryWidget for
text input instead of the horrible kludge we have now.  THe current
"highlighting" of text being edited is a step on the way.  It marks what
would be replaced with a proper widget, but you have probably noticed that
it's not fully congruent with the actual text editing yet.

The delete key - same problem, the text input is a hack.  Backspace does
work, though.

2. UML fonts and line thickness.  I've seen some comments in the archive
about this from a few years back, but the use of non-resizable monospace
fonts and thick lines make the UML tool unsuitable for all but personal
use.  Since I don't need the diagrams for generation, I'm using nested
boxes and text, but it would be much nicer to use the dedicated tools
(especially when defining associations).

You can set the fonts to other sizes and non-monospaced, but yes, the line
thickness should be editable.

-Lars