Re: 0.95-pre1 uploaded

On 14.02.2006 19:05, Lars Clausen wrote:
On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 08:32 +0200, Steffen Macke wrote:
Hello All,

the Dia for Windows 0.95-pre1 installer is available from

http://dia-installer.sourceforge.net

Please install the GTK+ Runtime Environment from
gimp-win.sourceforge.net first.

>You are recommending to install gtk+-2.8.x. Does this mean you have
*built* Dia against gtk+-2.8 ?
If so this is definitely the end of Dia on win9x as gtk+-2.8 does not
run there anymore. [ Dia will compile just fine against gt+-2.6 and
*may* run on win9x with that. ALso there will be the option to use
gtk+-2.8 with the same compile of Dia as Gtk+ has pretty strong binary
compatibility guarantees. ]

Not knowing first thing about Win32 installation of GTK stuff, is this
new separation an effect of the rewrite, of GTK developments, or what?
Although I'm not using any of the Gtk+ run-time environments (is there
a difference between the versions from http://gimp-win.sf.net and http://gladewin32.sf.net/ ?) they will allow a Dia users to update Dia's
dependencies if there is some bug in there.

Bundling Gtk+ with Dia would give a little more simple Dia install but
even I have sometimes problems to diagnose issues resulting from an included Gtk+ vs. some new installed Gtk+ version (IIRC the all inclusive
Gtk+ from Gnumeric was causing them.)

It would be preferable to have just one thing to install, but is it
practical/feasible to do that?

I tend to disagree, see above.

The installer is a complete rewrite, one of the major new features is
that the installer will only uninstall the files actually installed
(Using uninstall.log).

Thank you, Steffen!  I hope this makes life easier for Win32 people.

Thank you, Steffen!

        Hans