Re: print preview

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:27:09 -0500
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden schemamania org>
To: dia-list gnome org
Subject: Re: print preview

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:51:05 +0000 (GMT), Alan Horkan
<horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:

Short answer
No.  Print Preview is not available

Longer Answer, Possible workaround would be to print to a file and then
use some sort of a postcript veiwer such as Alladin Ghostscript.

The muscle of a real operating system makes a hack like "print preview"
look pretty puny.
An even better answer would be to define a fifo for the purpose.

I wonder about the current state of Gnome-Print, I heard they were working
to remove the Gnome dependencies...
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-print/
At the bottom of the website it reads:
"At GNOME 2.0 time, the dependency on linking with Gtk+ will be gone, as
the base GtkObject object is moved into Glib (GObject)."

If .dia/diarc defined a fifo and an external postscript displayer (say,

At least on Gnome/KDE, it would be definately be better to use whatever
the system specifies as the default postcript viewer (or at least try to).

write to the fifo, and launch the displayer.  Not very different from
defining helper applications in your favorite web browser.  Or the way
Bluefish uses a browswer, or the way....

Later
Alan