Re: long method signatures in uml class diagrams

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:
On 13 Oct 2002 14:35:51 -0500, Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu> wrote:
[...]
We obviously don't want to blindly insert linebreaks everywhere we can,
as then the objects would just be too tall rather than too wide.  I
could probably cook up a little pretty-printer that has some idea about
when it'd be good to break lines.

If somebody wants to use the UML class this way, he's going to need a
long and short form IMO.  Maybe the user could provide a "display string"
to override the complete representation of a function.  If the UML class
actually understood C++, it would have enough information to offer
gradations of detail, choosing among:

      Class name
      Class template parameters
      Data member names
      Data member types
      Function names
      Function template parameters
      Function parameter types
      Function parameter names
      Function return types

I realize this is empty noodling, but the UML class is such a "hairball"
(quoting Cyrille) and in such need of extension in several directions,
that it's bound to be replaced one of these days, when someone gets
ambitious.

The best way to go about that would be to look into the more complex
properties and get them working.  That should make it a lot easier to make
a new class object.

Slay any dragons yesterday?  Rescue any damsels?  (No and yes,
respectively, I hope.)

No dragons on the field (and besides, they're an endangered species).  Did
rescue a damsel or two who were fighting off overpowering numbers of evil
foemen (and foewomen:).  Beautiful day for it, too.

-Lars