Re: Software Patterns into shapes using UML shapes?

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, David Hickerson wrote:
I have tried to create some shapes of the software patterns (Abstract
Factory, Builder, etc.) using the UML shapes, however when I export
theses as shapes and add them to shape box, the UML shapes loss their
UML properties when used. You get a box with a name in it for a
class. Is there anything that can be done to work around this?

Not readily.  The UML class is a highly complex programmed object, and
can't readily be handled by the current shape system.  Shapes are overall
simplistic, they treat everything as just a set of lines and some text,
they don't attempt to use the underlying objects when saving.

My approach at this time is to go ahead and make the patterns as
drawings and to convert them latter if this behavior changes. My
intent is to donate these back to the Dia effort, when I get done.

Could you point us to an example of what you want these shapes to be like?

-Lars