Re: UML module hackery

On 11 Nov 2002, Lars Clausen wrote:

Sounds great!  It's good to have more hands working on it.Make sure that
you work off of the CVS tree, as many things have changes.

Check.

Tie points (connection points), as the other poster mentioned, can be good
and bad.  Their big limitation is in the limited amount of them, their big
strengths are that they keep a neater diagram and are easier to handle
internally.

I also like having lines which go straight rather than 'across-then-up'.
Auto-breaking (where you click-and-drag to get a corner) is the way I'd like
to go with it.

* Make labels (of all sorts) more mobile, and clean up the default
placement of multiplicity tags.

If you're using 0.90, you'll find that the CVS version has better
multiplicity tag placement.  A number of objects already have mobile

I did notice something about that, and intelligent placement is good, but it
can never handle all possible cases.  I'd like intelligent defaults plus
shiftability.

labels, and that should really be the case for all labels.  It's not hard,
but a lot of busywork.  Hey, you said you had interns... :)

I have interns, and 10 weeks to use 'em.  Busywork is what they do.

* Storing actual code along with class methods.  It's always felt to me
that UML would make a really nice "graphical programming" tool, if we
could store program code along with the structural elements.  It also
means that we can skip out of letting out UML model fall to pieces as
soon as we start to code, because we'll still be working with it.

We were discussing earlier a way to let users arbitrarily add fields to
objects.  Now the UML class object in particular is nasty, evil and hairy,
and (I think) the only object that doesn't use the nice properties system
for everything.  It also needs linebreaks for long signatures and a number
of other fixes that we've put off becuase it's so evil.  If you have an
intern whose sanity isn't a concern of yours, having it redone would be
great! :)

Their sanity is not my concern.  I give them work for 10 weeks, then hand
them back to the University.  Besides, I think the Uni has lobotomised them
sufficiently that mental disease is no longer possible.  <grin>

- Matt