Re: [RFC] moving translations off sheets ?

Le dim, jun 10, 2001, à 07:27:50 +0800, James Henstridge a écrit:

Okay.  So we would just have to change things like
  <description>blah blah blah</description>
to:
  <_description>blah blah blah</_description>

xml-i18n-merge then removes the underscores and adds extra lines with the
correct xml:lang attribute.  We don't need to change the file extension --
the type of merge is based on the command line argument.

Ah ? xml-i18n-merge looks up the .po files for translations and merges them
back into the resulting XML file ? Nice: we don't even have to modify the
code we have, then. That is Good(tm).

What we need is to duplicate the few lines in xml-i18n-tools.m4 which teach
automake how to make an .xml file out of an .xml.in, so that it does the
same with .sheet ; we also need to extract the existing translations out of
out .sheet files, add underscores and rename these files to .sheet.in (my
tool is able to write crude snippets of .po files with the translations in
one language or another ; hopefully that won't be too painful to extract).

There should be no need to do any copy and paste -- when you call
xml-i18n-toolize, it copies all the necessary scripts into your build tree
(just like gettextize or libtoolize do).  So someone who has a tarball
will not need xml-i18n-tools installed -- just those building from cvs
(ie. developers).  It does add a perl dependency to the build though.

Yes. And that's a hard build-dependency, but I think it's not a too
far-fetched one (neither is python, IMO).

I would not be surprised if xml-i18n-merge works correctly under windows
as well (it is just a perl script).  If there are problems, I am sure they
will accept patches.

Do we have a developer with a working win32 toolchain (remember dia
currently hasn't been built with mingw32, just a plugin has. The core
currently is built using MSVC), and with an open enough view on translated
software to be willing to participate in this ?

Note as current dia-win32 doesn't include any translations, we would just
sed the .sheet.in files into "C"-only .sheet files, for the Win32 build (as
a temporary measure, of course).

xml-i18n-tools isn't really a dependency on a gnome component.  It isn't
dragging anything requirements into the build process other than perl.  If
that is a problem, I am sure we can set up the makefiles to include the
merged sheet files in the tarball if this build requirement is a problem.

Looks fine.

It looks like what we currently have in CVS is in a better shape than
0.88.1 wrt crashes and annoyances. OTOH, there are quite big works ahead
(I'm going to spend a fair part of the week doing an (hopefully) exhaustive
audit of string handling, which will mean moving from *(p++) kind of string
handling to using the interface from charconv. Also, I'm currently extending
a bit properties.[ch] to support what lazyprops does. I want to kill
lazyprops before it spreads too much (there's an object in EML/ which uses
it). etc.) For these reasons I'd feel more comfortable if we tagged the
current CVS as 0.89 (going through the proposed few-days "sync win32"
release candidate cycle).

In short, the plan could be the following:

        - ASAP: 0.89-rc1 (from the current CVS)
        - ASAP+few days: 0.89 proper (everything's perfect, isn't it ?)
        - for 0.90: string handling audit ; xml-i18n-tools ; actual removal
        of renderobjects and libsybase.so ; if we're bold, flipping the
        UNICODE_WORK_IN_PROGRESS switch.
        - after 0.90: removing the UNICODE_WIP symbol (making its code the
        default) [*]

(of course, I haven't talked about the GUI area or Bonobo stuff, which while
important, isn't much into my area of knowledge)

Lower priority but important too: kill lazyprops (no fun job, but I feel
it's my mess -- I welcome help, of course !), bring objects into
modernity (and in the mean time, have at least a Connection and an Element
polished and tagged as "reference objects" for new object writers).

[*] that doesn't mean UNICODE mandatory. This is a separate issue.

What do you think of this ?

        -- Cyrille

--
Grumpf.