Re: systemd as external dependency

Hi,

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 18.05.11 15:49, Josselin Mouette (joss debian org) wrote:
>> I don’t have anything against requiring systemd, since it is definitely
>> the best init system out there currently, but the Linux dependency is an
>> absolute no-no for us. Having optional Linux-only functionalities is OK;
>> requiring Linux is not.
>
> Quite frankly, I'd like to question this. In the light of GNOME OS I
> think we need to ask ourselves the question if we do ourselves any good
> if we continue to support all kinds of kernels that simply cannot keep
> up with Linux anymore.

This would be a major departure for the project, a big kick in the face
for long-term partners like Oracle/Sun, and also for other free
operating systems like BSD.

Are you sure you're not taking the GNOME OS idea a bit far here? Are we
going to start depending on kernels carrying specific patch sets next?
Or specifying which package management system we expect GNOME
distributors to choose?

Cheers,
Dave.

--