Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

On 10 May 2011 21:51, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> That won't work for long. Once we've move the Bluetooth panel directly
> in the control-center, we'll be removing the external API from the
> control-center. It was only added for gnome-bluetooth, and will be
> removed then as well.

There's a separate thread for this that I replied to.

> I'd really like Deja Dup to be even more integrated into the system,
> meaning that we should make it possible to backup the whole system,
> using fanotify(), and possibly integrating with btrfs snapshots.

My plans have always been aimed at personal data only, with any
support for whole-system backup as a nice bonus.  There are technical
issues there like "if you hit a file the user doesn't have read
support for, are you going to prompt for the root password every
time?"

This is a personal backup program, not something for system
administrators.  But I'm not opposed to improving support as long as
it doesn't harm the existing personal backup experience.

As for btrfs snapshots and such.  I could envision adding support to
duplicity to determine what changed via btrfs, but would not want to
make btrfs part of the backup format itself.  Duplicity's existing
format design assumes very little about the backend (put, get, delete,
list) so that it can support cloud destinations like Amazon S3.  S3
won't be adding a btrfs in the cloud anytime soon.

-mt