Re: GNOME 3.2 ideas and plans

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 17:13 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 10:02 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > With GNOME 3.0 going into code freeze any day now, it is high time
> > that we start looking beyond 3.0 and start collecting ideas and making
> > plans for what comes next. To that end, I have collected a list of
> > things that have fallen off the 3.0 train at one point or another, as
> > well as some other things that might be nice to put on the roadmap.
> > Some of these have designs and/or working implementations, others or
> > just ideas.
> >
> > I'd like to encourage everybody to chime in with their own ideas and
> > plans for GNOME 3.2.
>
> It would be nice to have some level of integration with web applications
> in the desktop.

For "Web sites as applications", there's the possible SoC from Epiphany.

>  For instance, I would like to update my facebook status
> or tweet easily via the user status menu in the shell.

This would require somebody writing the "Web Accounts" panel, which
would integrate Telepathy accounts, libsocialweb accounts, and possibly
Evolution ones too. My attempts at coercing people on working on that
have so far failed for 3.0.

>  I would also like
> facebook message notification with the message tray, and facebook chat
> support.

As Will mentioned, those should be supported through Telepathy already.

> And I'm sure there are many other small integration points that may be
> useful:
> * Easily share pictures on flickr/facebook/etc

That's what the new nautilus-sendto is supposed to do (it supports all
the sites supported by libsocialweb, which is a growing list), but it's
blocking on user accounts setup (as above).

To allow browsing them after the fact, Grilo should be able to use the
accounts information from libsocialweb to get authenticated, and then
applications such as gthumb, shotwell or F-Spot can browse all the
images sources provided by Grilo.

> * Easily share links on facebook/etc
> * Facebook as address book source

Once we have a system-wide accounts system, sharing links from
applications to websites is fairly straight forward.