Re: no way to change theme or fonts in System Settings?

On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 12:28 +0100, Juanjo Marin wrote:
> El jue, 17-03-2011 a las 10:55 +0000, Allan Day escribió:
> > On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 11:15 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Thanks for the info, Jasper! Is there a blessed/recommended tweak tool
> > > that people should be suggesting when we get asked these questions?
> >
> > gnome-plumbing never existed. I would point people to John's
> > gnome-tweak-tool.
> >
> > Note: I don't think we should be 'recommending' such a tool as a part of
> > the GNOME 3 experience. GNOME 3 is great as is, and people shouldn't
> > need to change it. If they desperately want to tweak, they can, of
> > course; and John has provided an easy way to do it (go John!)
>
> I agree, but IMHO, it is common for users to change the theme, so, even
> without promoting it, a lot of users will be using this tweaking tool if
> it is the only way for do it.
>
> For me tweaking is changing parameters that it is tought that users
> shouldn't change, but I find strange the only way to change the
> theme/fonts is through tweaking :)

Changing either theme or font would detract from our visual identity.
And we also cannot offer users to switch to different themes and expect
all those themes to be of the high quality one would expect from the one
shipped in GNOME 3. My guess is that if you're willing to possibly break
the appearance of a number of applications, we want to make it clear
that you shouldn't start filing bugs against whichever product offered
you that ability.

There are however some missing parts to the customisation that we might
want to revisit, such allowing users to tweak colours, but this would
need to be designed, and thought out.