Re: Module Proposal: PDF Mod

On za, 2010-02-20 at 18:29 +0100, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> El sáb, 20-02-2010 a las 18:06 +0100, Johannes Schmid escribió:
> > Hi!
> >
> > > Would be nice to see it integrated in evince in some way, the problem is
> > > that I am not sure evince supports "extensions" (like, for example, eog
> > > supports) :-/
> >
> > Quoting from the orignal Proposal Mail:
> > "Miscellaneous: People have raised the idea of adding PDF Mod's
> > functionality to Evince.  Some good reasons why having them separate
> > is best:
> > 1) Each app is simpler this way; users can't get into edit mode
> > accidentally and be confused
> > 2) Quoting Evince maintainers: "Editing capabilities are actually out
> > of scope in evince, see bug #314683."
> > 3) In that bug they encourage the creation of a tool like PDF Mod"
>
> I misexplained it sorry, I meant that having it like an extension would
> probably allow to "resolve" that problems since people that could be
> "confused" could simply disable that extension (or not enable it)

Hard design problems shouldn't be solved by creating an extension or
adding another configuration switch. We've all seen the mess this turns
into once you go down that path [1].

Such a solution basically means that clueless users miss out on the
functionality (they certainly don't enable/disable extensions). Let's be
ambitious and find a solution that works for everyone.

  Ruben [2]

[1] http://www.kde.org/screenshots/images/3.1/fullsize/94.png
    Seriously, audio buffer size? By the millisecond? And we've pulled
    similar crap at GNOME too, just couldn't find the screenshot.
[2] That being said, I'm a happy user of PDF Mod. Great tool.

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)
http://www.savanne.be/