Re: A different point of vision (was: Appearance capplet)

Hi Luca,

I'm not sure your evidence supports your conclusion.

I agree that changing the font size (basically the scale of the
screen) is an important thing.  I've written up some thoughts on this
here:
http://live.gnome.org/Design/DesktopFontPreferences

Also, in some cases using a text-only toolbar items makes sense too.
See gmail for example.  However, this is something that really doesn't
fall into the same category of user preferences that desktop
background and font size do.  We should try to figure out the
appropriate design for these sort of things.

The appearance panel is pretty conflicted today.  We should probably
have a panel that is specifically about personalization and not
customization.  Maybe a rule of thumb is - things that are likely to
change based on external conditions, whims, fancies.  Of course,
personal computer accessibility is a closely related concept.  So, the
needs-to-be-written Universal Access panel would likely have some
overlap here.

In my opinion, things like background art, screensavers, and font size
are in scope.  Things like the choice of icons in menus or editable
menu shortcut keys are clearly not.

Jon