Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

Le lundi 12 janvier 2009 à 20:54 +0100, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> > Oh right, so we have to choose between supporting only PA and screw
> > other users, or not benefit from PA at all. What a choice.
>
> Uh? You can ship both if you wish and pass the decision what to use to
> the user. I mean, that is the usual way Debian solves problems like
> this, isn't it?

No, that’s not the “usual way”. Having two identical applications in the
menu is not the “usual way”. But as I have already explained, we can
deal with it using a hack, so please forget about that. Just go on
shipping the two mixers, and let’s stop this pointless discussion.

> There are quite a few features that cannot be implemented in the old
> volume control

Who denies that?

> What exactly are you requesting? That everyone who adopts PA ships
> only the old g-v-c? That someone does the pointless work of extending GstMixer
> for the full functionality?

The correct way, I think, would be a single binary that uses the PA code
and falls back to GStreamer if the PA daemon is not running.

> > How about the applet then? Is there a plan to bring back a gst-based
> > one?
>
> Dunno. If you insist it could probably be kept around, but that's not
> up to me to decide.

If the two applets don’t share the basic UI (one panel applet and one
notification icon), that’s a bigger problem. I guess we could always
ship the GStreamer one and start the PA one only if PA is running, but
that’s not very consistent.

--
 .''`.