Re: JavaScript engines

On Jan 6, 2009, at 14:07, Jason D. Clinton wrote:

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
The APIs will certainly not automatically be the same. There are lots
and lots of little decisions you have to make when you bind gtk. If just
one of these differ then they won't be compatible.

It's not clear to me why this would not be considered a bug.

So it's certainly not straightforward to decide how to bind certain things... (say, for example signal connection)

Most bindings are very similar between GJS and Seed, but the structure around it (from what I've seen) isn't.

Hopefully Robert will jump in here and say he's willing to treat GJS
as the reference implementation and then everyone can just be happy
with two implementations with the same API on which any app can Just
Work.

I'll wait for Robb, since he's the one who makes most of the decisions (and is much more familiar with all of you), but I'd say that it wouldn't be a horrible amount of work to get Seed to more or less compatible with GJS in most ways (however, in the code I've seen, you guys seem to use a lot of 'let', and the like... which _javascript_Core doesn't have yet... we're still trying to convince them/working out the best way to implement things like that).

Let's wait for Robert to reply before we get too carried away...