Re: GNOME 2.26 Showstopper Review

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

> > I don't think that gnome-python-desktop would need removing GtkPrint
> > and gnomeVFS, it contains GnomePrint python bindings which cannot be
> > removed and I cannot find any reference to GnomeVFS that needs to be
> > removed.
> >
> > If I'm mistaking please correct me, cc'ing Gustavo for a better opinion.
>
> Some months later, in gnome-2.28.modules file in jhbuild those two
> modules are still part of gnome 2.28.  Someone please let me know if
> this changes.

They are still in the platform, as we had a API/ABI stability promise,
but they are no longer used by any of our modules.

> And anyway I am not going to bother to physically move code from one
> module to another for just a couple of library bindings, just not worth
> the trouble.
>
> I am, however, welcome to take other steps to deprecate the bindings:
>   1. Add a python warning every time the deprecated module is imported;
>   2. Not build the deprecatd bindings by default unless a
> --enable-deprecated-bindings option is used.

It would certainly help a lot, distribution could ship and have the
warning displayed so developers notice, and people closer to GNOME and
using jhbuild would get an ImportError and notice even harder.

Cheers,
        Frederic