Re: R: git migration - svn:externals

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeenix gmail com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Tim-Philipp Müller <t i m zen co uk> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 12:09 +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
>>
>>> I think gst-ffmpeg uses this feature. gst-ffmpeg is in git while it
>>> uses ffmpeg which is in svn.
>>
>> Not really - gst-ffmpeg just runs svn checkout in autogen.sh, and that's
>> it.
>>
>> We use git submodules in GStreamer though (we have a 'common' submodule
>> for all other modules), but git submodules are still fairly cumbersome
>> to use and I wouldn't recommend them until the git people make them less
>> painful to use, at least not for projects where the submodule reference
>> needs to be updated frequently.
>
>   This whole idea of sub-modules is just brain-dead so I wouldn't
> count on git developers fixing that instead of concentrating on
> features of real importance. If you have some code (or even data) that
> is needed by more than one of your modules/packages, you either put
> that common stuff in another module/package and make other packages
> depend on this or you just bite the bullet and don't mind the
> redundancy. In some cases you just have to wisely use the combination
> of both.

I'm involved a bit in git development and I have to say that view is
pretty much accurate.

'git submodule' is essentially a big hack and nobody from the main
developers is actively working on it. Of course patches are accepted
and support is improving, but I wouldn't recommend any major projects
to depend on it.

--
Felipe Contreras